Thursday, February 21, 2008

Restaurant Review of Hide Sushi in Santa Monica, CA

We were quite literally blown into Santa Monica's Hide Sushi restaurant for a treat unlike the sushi I'm used to in Houston. I've never had a gourd roll or gotten this ecstatic over giant clam. Mmm... giant clams and gourds. Remember the Gourd's cover of Snoop Dog's Gin and Juice?

Yeah.

Sawtelle Blvd certainly doesn't lack for sushi restaurants or giant robot stores. This particular sushi restaurant came chosen by Zak for their superior fish. Oh the fish. So fresh. So tasty. So perfect. I swear there was a little hello kitty pulling salmon out of the water with its cute little paw, filleting the poor thing with a little pink hello kitty knife, and tossing the perfectly cut chunk of sweet pink fish flesh into my mouth. So good.

The sushi bar at Hide Sushi

An interesting place: cash only and not a really trendy or interesting interior. Smallish - tough to seat a lot of people. But WHO CARES? I loved the fish. On a Sunday no less.

I also loved the gourd roll (Kampyo-Maki). My first time with the gourd. Except for the marriage gourd my mother in law brought me back from Peru. But that was painted with a little love story on the outside instead of little brown marinated strips of yummy goodness wrapped in perfect rice and seaweed. Of course I got a soft shell crab roll - seemed pretty standard - then followed up by a B+ salmon skin roll. Don't worry, things ramp up with a giant clam roll. Shelled, cooked, and cut personally by the giant robot into a awesome roll.

Expect a traditional menu - not newbie friendly. Go for the fish, especially the salmon, and wave to the kitty.

No comments: