Sunday, February 10, 2008

Issue Zero - The Origin Story

I hoping this blog will make an excellent resource for anyone interested in mountain bike racing, California blended red wines, best-practice management techniques, and sushi. I know there are a lot of you out there.

The topics are not wholly unrelated. Mountain bike racing positively impacts my work life by greatly strengthening my focus and productivity. Difficult situations at work generally pale in comparison to the pressures of racing. Perspective counts for a lot in this world.

The phrase 'write memory' originates from the information technology world. Network engineers working on Cisco gear use the write memory command to save changes to the router's running configuration. While Cisco replaced this command with 'copy run start', the vast majority of us still use 'write memory'. This is partly to be retro cool, partly due to the new command's longer length, and partly due to the better reliability of the old command. The command felt appropriate to me for my blog title - blogging in way saves my own running configuration. While I'm neither retro nor cool, I am a bit outdated.

No comments: