Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Fife Redhead Red 2004

Fife Redhead Red 2004 Mendocino Red Wine

This bottle comes to us from Fife Vineyards - specifically the Fife Vineyards’ Redwood Valley winery in Mendocino County started by Dennis Fife. This landed in my basket while I shopped for hot sauce at H.E.B. Central Market back in the middle of February. I paid $14.99.

I paired this blended California red with the movie Cloverfield (we're about a half an hour in - so far not great). I didn't get much from the smell in the glass - a bit of dark berry, but not much else. I'm not crazy about how this wine starts - the flavor begins lemony - a little bitter, a little woody, but still generally light.

I'm going to pop some popcorn and we'll see if that helps. Mmmm... better. This wine improves in the middle... now we've got some strong dark cherry flavors. It's smoothed out and gotten rich and gutsy. A bit smokey too. This reminds me of a nice pipe tobacco. The movie's gotten better as well.

I don't see myself buying another bottle - but I didn't dislike it. Two chainrings?

Drink well. I'm off to Comfort for race numero six.

No comments: